Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lost in Translation


Lost in Translation - Sofia Coppola 

First, as a rebound from a mindless flick I've treated myself yesterday and secondly, for no reason I have missed this despite glowing feedbacks and a personal penchant for such a genre. Well I don't know for a few people that might have elevated this as a favorite merely for the film being as an "indie" (that in 2003, quite a number of indies had mushroomed that had become the focal point of influence for filmmakers and made LIT as a barometer for future imitations I guess), but I think it is because of its diversion from the collective understanding of an independent film. While reminiscent of Linklater's Before Sunrise or Lean's Brief Encounter, which illustrated the male/female relationship on an obviously romantic level, LIT's approach, while somewhat trudges on a similar plane, gives us something to discern about.


No comments: